Quick Tip: Don't Delay Filing Child Support Modification Proceedings

May 14, 2012 - by Eric Anderson

In Minnesota, child support obligations can only be retroactively modified from the date that a motion for child support modification is pending, i.e. from the date that service is made upon the other parties to the action.  Therefore, it is vital to seek modification of child support as soon as there significant changes in a party's ability to pay child support.  For example, if you lose your job and are no longer able to meet your support obligation, do not wait for months to file a motion - as that will only result in a build up in arrears that will not be discharged.  Instead, be proactive and take steps to file the modification motion soon after your reduction in income.   Speak to an attorney to see if your situation qualifies for child support modification and how to proceed with the motion.  

Disclaimer: No case or client-specific information shall be discussed on this website. The content provided is informational only and should not be construed as legal advice. If you have questions about divorce or custody in Minnesota , please seek the advice of an attorney.